navbarmenu

               

Friday, November 2, 2012

Dark Chocolate Bundt Cake



I sincerely apologize for the lack of posts lately. First I had tech week and performances of the show I was stage managing, and that sucked up every minute of time that I had. Then on Monday when it was all over I came home and baked this beautiful bundt cake. Unfortunately, Hurricane Sandy had other plans for my post. As I was mixing the batter my power began to flicker and right when I finished photographing the whole thing, my power and cable went out. Big bummer.



I haven’t had internet in a few days, which was good for productivity, because it gave me the opportunity to write up some posts and edit some old pictures so I can post a little more frequently.



Anyways. Here it is in all it’s chocolaty glory. My mom and I were both craving some chocolate, and since we knew we could be cooped up in the house for at least a few days, it needed to have alcohol in it too…

So, this baby is loaded with Godiva Chocolate Liqueur. Obviously, this is optional, but if you are forced to sit at home with no power, cable or internet with your parents for three days, every bit of alcohol helps.



I used my grandma’s chocolate bundt cake recipe, which my mother recommended. And when she pulled it out of the family cookbook/binder, she was a little bummed to see that it was no more than a cake mix, a box of instant pudding and some liquids. Nothing fancy at all. But really good.

Naturally, I had none of the right puddings or mixes on hand, so I went with what I had. I used Dark Chocolate Fudge instead of chocolate cake mix and chocolate fudge pudding instead of plain chocolate. I’m actually not sure if they make just plain ol’ chocolate cake mix any more. Advertising has eliminated the classics… Oh well.

So, I substituted ¼ cup of the 1 ¾ cups of milk with the Godiva Liqueur. Delicious.



I dusted the pans with cocoa powder, which I don’t actually recommend for this. I felt like all I could taste was the cocoa powder on the edge, which took away from the dark chocolaty goodness.

Then I found a glaze online. But this too, needed to be loaded with alcohol. So, instead of 4 tablespoons of water it was 3 tablespoons of Liqueur and 1 tablespoon of water. The glaze ended up being my favorite part of the whole cake. It wasn’t good with the cake, but I could have eaten the whole bowl with a spoon. My favorite thing to do was the take a spoonful of the fresh whipped cream and then drizzle it with the glaze (No wonder I ran out of glaze and whipped cream before I ran out of cake…).






Chocolate Bundt Cake



1 box Chocolate Cake Mix
1 box Instant Chocolate Pudding
1 ½ Cup Milk
¼ Cup Godiva Chocolate Liqueur
2 Eggs
12 oz Chocolate Chips

Preheat the oven to 325ยบ. Grease and flour a large bundt pan.

In a large bowl mix together all ingredients until blended.

Pour batter into bundt pan and bake for 50-55 minutes.

Let cool completely before serving.


Chocolate Glaze


2 TBS Butter
3 TBS Cocoa Powder
1 Cup Confectioners Sugar
3 TBS Godiva Chocolate Liqueur
½ tsp Vanilla

Melt the butter in a small bowl in the microwave. Then add all other ingredients and stir until smooth


Whipped Cream 

2 Cups (1 pt) Heavy/Whipping Cream
2 tsp to ¼ Cup Confectioners Sugar (Adjust to how sweet you like it)
1 tsp Vanilla

Whip all ingredients together in a large bowl until stiff peaks form.




No comments:

Post a Comment